Result changes each time I run the project

Feb 11, 2010 at 7:46 PM
Edited Feb 12, 2010 at 4:28 PM

Hello,

I have downloaded the Starter Kit and followed the instructions one by one.  But after Step 4 (When we add the file iceSettings.xml and MultiNodeSelection property); each time I run the code, it gives me a different random result.  

For instance I want to see 3 nodes B, H and T; at first it shows B only, when I refresh the page it shows H and T, then B and H, then B, H and T and it goes so on randomly.  It does not give any error and I did not understand why it does this.  

I tried this on 3 computers and they had the same problem, too.  I tried to ran the live demos you gave and it worked correctly. Can you help me on this, please?

I have uploaded our source code to the Issue Tracker with the same title. Maybe it helps..

Best Regards

Kemal

Coordinator
Feb 13, 2010 at 2:25 PM

Kemal,

I noticed the same issue a few days ago, when using Silverlight 3 on the clident side, and VS 2010 beta 2 on the server side. I've updated a fix 5 days ago (on Feb 7). When did you download the starter kit?

For the record, what versions of silverlight and VS are you using?

Coordinator
Feb 13, 2010 at 2:29 PM

By the way, check out the release note for build 1.0.3, there are a few other material I have updated.

Also, I encourage anyone who wants to update/correct/enhance the Word tutorial to do so. This is a community project :)

Feb 15, 2010 at 11:30 PM

Thank you for your reply, the new version solved the inconsistency issue.  We had the version 1.0.2 and we did not realized the new version. Now it works fine.

We are planning to use ICE for graph visualization in a project of us.  In this project we should have a graph representation such that we can define all the edge lengths between nodes.

We could not find a section that tells how to set the rest length of edges in the Word Tutorial, so I want to ask that is there a way to customize the lengths of edges one by one?

Kemal

Coordinator
Feb 16, 2010 at 3:18 PM

Kemal,

Because nodes have repulsion forces on each others, you cannot really set exact length for each link. But you can set individual STRENGTH of each link, which will get you closer to what you need. Here's a example I use in a GenerateData.aspx:

private Link CreateLinkBetweenIndicatorAndCountry(Node from, Node to, double sValue, double smallestValue, double highestValue,string moreInfo)
        {
            Link link = new Link();

// As for nodes, links have an unique ID
            link.id = "WEOonICE.hasValue[" + from.id + "]to[" + to.id + "]";

// We have to specify the ID reference of the two nodes
            link.from = from.id;
            link.to = to.id;

// (optional) To finish the definition of a relation,
            // we COULD  quantify the relation with the strength of this relation
            // this strength is between 1 and 100
            // the higher the strength, the more the two node will try to stay together
            // we need to calculate the relative size between 10% (smallest) and 100% (highest)
            double relStrength = Math.Round(100/Math.Log(60,((60 - 50) * sValue) / (highestValue - smallestValue)));

link.strength = (float)relStrength;

// We must also qualify the relation to make it human readable
            link.grammar = new LinkGrammar();
            link.grammar.verb = "is an indicator for";
            link.grammar.complement = "Value is " + sValue;

return link;
        }

In this case, I used a complicated formula that set the strength as a logarithmic percentage of the value, compared to the highest and smallest available values for my entire collection of nodes. So the highest the node value, the closest to the central node. See live example at http://75.101.169.155/ICE/weoonicev1/start.htm

Mar 17, 2010 at 7:21 PM

Dear tourpe,  is it possible to view source codes of latest release?

I wonder how to fix the problem, master88 posted.

Sorry for bad English, i am from Russia.